Ai Yamaguchi is a Tokyo-based contemporary artist. She is a member of a creative group ninyu works which is consist of 5 members including her. Her solo/group shows are held internationally.
The motive that consists of Yamaguchi's world is mainly based on a fine art in modern times during the Edo-period, from the latter days of 17th to 18th century in Japan. Her works expresses the girls who live their lives as prostitutes and wait on the men in yukaku, the red-light district in the Edo-period. She draws the girls into the works using the original supports of hers and clear colors. The world of yukaku, which has been sensitively designed from her own creation, based on the consideration into early times in Japan.
- 1977 born in Tokyo, Japan
- 1999 established the group "ninyu works"
- 1995 entered Women's colledge of fine arts, faculty of arts department of crafts
- Selected Exhibitions
- 1998 HIROPON SHOW in L.A., George’s, Los Angeles
- 1999 TOKYO GIRLS BRAVO, Harajuku Nadiff, Tokyo
- 2002 Kageki Metonymics, Stefan Stux Gallery, New York
- 2004 Oyasumi Shaheen Contemporary, Cleveland
- 2006 n〜centers on new works, GALLERY at lammfromm, Tokyo
- 2008 Hana wa no ni aruyouni, ROBERTS & TILTON GALLERY , Los Angeles
- 2009 Kigoto, ART FAIR TOKYO 2009,Tokyo
- Other Information
- 2003 produced cleansing oil bottle in a collaboration with shu uemura