“The polka dot queen of avant-garde” Yayoi Kusama was diagnosed with schizophrenia and had been having hallucinations since childhood. She attempts to escape from illness and started to create art works full with infinity nets and dots that she saw in her hallucinations. Now she is one of the most popular Japanese avant-garde artists in all over the world.She moved to USA in 1960’s, started to show worksbased in New Yorkand her artistic activities catch a great deal of attention. In 1975, Kusama moved back to Japan, her art works revived international interest in 90’s, and Kusama's/work is held in museum collections worldwide. Yayoi Kusama, 85 years old now, still keeping create art works aggressively, and influenced all over the world.
有「前衛藝術家女王」之稱的日本前衛藝術家草間彌生，年幼時期開始因患有自律 神經失調而長期有幻覺及幻聽的症狀，受病痛之苦而開始投身於創作，將自身在幻 覺中看到的景象例如佈滿無限的網和圓點化為藝術作品，席捲世界，現今是全世界 最受注目的日本前衛藝術家。1960年代前往美國，以紐約為據點開始以前衛藝術家 活動而受到矚目被稱之為「前衛藝術家女王」。1975年回到日本，90年代開始再次 引起國際性關注，得獎無數；並且持續在日本及世界各地的權威美術館舉辦大型展 覽。85歲的她現在仍積極致力於創作，其獨創性的作品至今仍帶 給世界莫大的震撼與衝擊。
- 1929 born in Nagano, Japan
- 1957 moved to the United States and showed paintings,soft sculptures.
- 1960s started happenings such as body painting festivals, fashion shows and anti-war demonstrations.
- 2006 Received the 2006 National Lifetime Achievement Awards
- Selected Exhibitions
- 1998 Love Forever YAYOI KUSAMA 1958-1968, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, L.A., The Museum Modern Art, New York
- 2004 KUSAMATRIX, Mori Museum, Tokyo
- 2007 Dots Obsession - Dots Transformed into Love, Haus der Kunst, Munich
- Other Information
- 2008 Released documentary film, Yayoi Kusama I adore myself.